Trash & Recycling Services
Provided by Werlor Waste Control
- Limit of 1 Mighty Tidy™ cart per household for trash; not to exceed 100 pounds of normal household refuse with the lid closed
- Limit of 1 18-gallon recycling bin for curbside recycling materials; recycling will be picked up the same day as trash.
Residents are allowed to place extra garbage bags (up to 30-gallon in size) outside of the 1 cart limit. Each bag must have a prepaid bag tag placed on the top of the bag. Any bags outside of the cart that do not have a prepaid tag attached will not be picked up. Any resident needing additional bags picked up over the 1 full cart limit may purchase bag tags from Werlor or Deﬁance Chief Supermarket.
Trash and recycling service are both curbside pickup, unless otherwise pre-arranged for disabled pickup. Place your Mighty Tidy™ cart with handle facing the house and front of cart facing the road. The Mighty Tidy™ cart must be placed at least 4 feet away from vehicles, trees, etc. The 18-gallon recycling bin can be placed next to your cart.
When a legal holiday falls on a weekday, regular scheduled collection will be one day late. Legal holidays honored are:
- New Year's Day
- Memorial Day
- 4th of July
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
Saturday and Sunday holidays do not affect the schedule.
Monthly Bulk Collection Guidelines
This service is for large, bulky household items such as appliances, furniture, TV's etc.
- Bulk items need to be out by 7 am to assure pick up. Do not place out more than 24 hours before the scheduled collection day. Residents may be subject to ﬁne or penalty by City of Deﬁance if placed out other than speciﬁed times.
Large bulky household items such as appliances, furniture, TVs, etc. Any loose household items such as clothing, cookware etc. must be placed in boxes or open containers. Carpet must be rolled, tied, and cannot exceed 40 pounds or 6 feet in length, per roll. Please note: This pickup must be in front of your house, along the street, at the curb where your house faces.
- Vehicle parts (including tires), building and construction materials, yard waste, ashes, human wastes, explosives or hazardous materials, cement and rocks. No more than1 Mighty Tidy™ of regular trash will be collected. The annual collection of Christmas trees will be the first full week of January on your regular garbage day. The landfill will not accept 55 gallon drums or barrels unless both ends are removed. (Call us to arrange disposal of these items.)
Prepare your recyclable materials as requested. What can be recycled and how these materials have to be prepared is determined by the businesses that make products from recycled materials. Careful preparation and separation of recyclables is important. Manufacturers require clean and contaminant-free materials to make new products. Unsorted or improperly prepared materials will be left at the curb with an explanation, if not followed properly. Please, no trash when recycling. Non-recyclable items will be left in the recycling container. Please dispose with the garbage.
The following items are part of the curbside recycling program:
- Corrugated Cardboard: Viewed from the edge, corrugated cardboard looks like this:
- Remove packing materials, such as foam, peanuts and bubble wrap.
- All paste board boxes must have wax liner removed, including cereal boxes.
- Flatten boxes and place beneath recycling container.
- Cereal or other paperboard boxes are fine.
- No wax-coated milk cartons or boxes and no juice containers.
- Beverage Cans: Please drain completely. Aluminum and steel beverage cans will be separated automatically at the Recycling Center. You may flatten cans to save space.
- Steel Food Cans: Rinse clean. Paper labels are fine. Place lid inside can and pinch end close to keep lid inside.
- Newspaper: Stack in brown grocery bags. Do not pack in plastic bags or tie in bundles. Loose newspaper can cause litter. Wet newspapers cannot be recycled. Shiny paper is fine.
- Glass Bottles and Jars: We no longer accept any glass, glass bottles, glass jars of any type.
- Plastic Bottles: Throw away caps and must be rinsed clean.
- Milk and water jugs, colored detergent bottles, softener, and bleach bottles
- You may flatten plastic bottles to save space for your home storage.
- Only number 1 and number 2 plastic is acceptable. Non-coded or coded Number 3 to 7 will not be acceptable.
- No motor oil, transmission oil, or antifreeze containers.
- Junk Mail:
- White office paper, colored paper, computer paper, notebook paper, junk mail, regular and window envelopes, manila folders, yellow pad paper, sticky notes and paperback books
- Do not put junk mail in any type of bag or box.
- Do not pack in plastic bags or tie in bundles.
- Scrap Aluminum:
- Aluminum cans, aluminum foil, pie and dinner trays (rinse clean)
- Aluminum lawn furniture etc. (remove fabric and other contaminants)