Civil Service Commission
- 3rd Monday of the month at 5:15pm **Alternate meeting dates may be selected to accommodate schedules and are advertised as required.**
- Front Conference Room of 631 Perry Street, Defiance, OH
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
- Stephen Korhn, Esq., Chairman
- Norm Walker, Member
- Tim Whetstone, Member
- Carrin Homan, Clerk
ENTRY LEVEL/LATERAL TRANSFER POLICE OFFICER
The City of Defiance Civil Service Commission is currently testing to establish an eligibility list for the position of entry level full-time police officer. Lateral Transfer candidates are encouraged to apply. (See above for the requirements of Lateral Transfer candidates)
Candidates applying as an Entry Level Police Officer and NOT a lateral transfer candidate must complete through National Testing Network:
- A Personal History Questionnaire (which will serve as your application)
- FrontLine National Testing (minimum score of 60% required on reading, writing, and video portion)
- Public Safety Self Assessment—minimum score of 45% required
Candidates applying as a Lateral Transfer Police Officer will need to complete:
- An application (available by contacting email@example.com)
- An oral interview (date TBD).
- Local agility testing
- All applications (including any DD214 information) and testing must be completed prior to November 2, 2023 at 11:59pm. Those candidates, BOTH lateral transfer and non-lateral transfer, with a passing score will be required to complete a local agility test to be held in Defiance, Ohio on Saturday, November 4, 2023.
To successfully complete the physical agility test, the candidate must meet the minimum standard for each numbered event. If he or she fails an event, the candidate is automatically disqualified. The physical agility test is pass/fail only.
- To be excused from the local agility test, a candidate will need to provide the Civil Service Commission with a certificate dated within one year prior to the local agility test showing successful completion of OPOTA training by having met their physical fitness requirement.
Candidates may also receive Veteran Preference Credit as outlined in the Civil Service Commission Rules Section 50.16. This additional credit will only be added to a passing score.
After completing the testing processes, candidates who meet all the required testing levels will be presented to the Defiance Civil Service Commission who will certify a list of those eligible. The ranking will be based on testing scores and would include any additional Veteran Preference Credits for those eligible. Candidates on the list will receive a letter with their ranking on the list.
NOTE: Please be advised Ohio Revised Code Section 124.41 provides no person may receive an appointment to the position of police officer after obtaining the age of thirty-five. However, the City’s Codified Ordinances state “No person is eligible to receive an original appointment as a police officer or firefighter on or after his or her fortieth birthday and no person shall be disqualified as over age prior to that time.”
Any questions can be directed to the City of Defiance, Civil Service Commission Clerk at 419-783-4350 or firstname.lastname@example.org.