- City Hall
- Boards & Commissions
- Civil Service Commission
Civil Service Commission
- 3rd Monday of the month at 5:15pm **Alternate meeting dates may be selected to accommodate schedules and are advertised as required.**
- Front Conference Room of 631 Perry Street, Defiance, OH
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
- Stephen Korhn, Esq., Chairman
- Norm Walker, Member
- Tim Whetstone, Member
- Carrin Homan, Clerk
Entry Level/Lateral Transfer - Fire
Entry Level/Lateral Transfer - Police
ENTRY LEVEL AND LATERAL TRANSFER FIREFIGHTER/PARAMEDIC TESTING
The City of Defiance Civil Service Commission is testing to establish an eligibility list for the position of full-time firefighter/paramedic. All applications (including any DD214 information) and testing must be completed prior to April 3, 2023 at 11:59 p.m.
Candidates applying as an Entry Level Firefighter/Paramedic and are NOT a lateral transfer candidate must complete the following through National Testing Network:
- A Personal History Questionnaire (PHQ)
- FireTEAM Testing—minimum of 60% on reading, math, mechanical and human relations sections is required
- Public Safety Self Assessment—minimum score of 60% required
- Firefighter Mile Agility Test—within one year prior to the application deadline
To fill out the PHQ and schedule a test, go to www.nationaltestingnetwork.com, select Firefighter and sign up for the City of Defiance Fire Department.
Candidates applying as a Lateral Transfer Firefighter/Paramedic must complete:
- An application (available by email)
- An oral interview to be done locally
- Firefighter Mile Agility Test—through National Testing Network within one year prior to the application deadline.
For more information about the requirements of Lateral Transfer Candidates, please use the link in the section above.
After completing the testing processes, candidates who meet all the required testing levels will be presented to the Defiance Civil Service Commission who will certify a list of those eligible. The ranking will be based on testing scores and would include any additional Veteran Preference Credits (as outlined in the Civil Service Commission Rules Section 50.16) for those eligible. Candidates on the list will receive a letter with their ranking on the list.
NOTE: Please be advised Ohio Revised Code Section 124.41 provides no person may receive an appointment to the position of police officer after obtaining the age of thirty-five. However, the City’s Codified ordinances state “No person is eligible to receive an original appointment as a police officer or firefighter on or after his or her fortieth birthday and no person shall be disqualified as over age prior to that time.”
Any questions can be directed to the City of Defiance Civil Service Commission Clerk, Carrin Homan at email@example.com.