Veteran’s Memorial Park at Latty’s Grove
- Baseball / Softball Diamond
- Basketball Court
- Picnic Shelters
- Picnic Tables
- Tennis Court
Veteran's Memorial Grove (est. 1947) - known for many years as Latty's Grove (established 1937) - is historic ground of great significance, and as such affords a fitting and appropriate background for commemoration of Defiance soldier's sacrifice in all wars.
In 1794 General Wayne came to Fort Defiance by a route that lay through or near the Veteran's Grove site. In 1812, General Winchester's Camp Number 2 was located in the Memorial Grove Area. And here also came William H. Harrison, then a general, and Col. Richard Johnson, after a march down the Maumee river from Fort Wayne to rebuild Fort Defiance as Fort Winchester.
In 1813, city park board member Abram Smith believed that Colonel Johnson grazed his horses at the Memorial Grove area.
In past years, the Memorial Grove was a frequent gathering place for family reunions and other outdoor assemblies. It is still used today for the very same events.