Stephen Korhn, Esq., Chairman
Norm Walker, Member
Julie Fitzenrider, Member
Carrin Homan, Clerk
The Civil Service Commission typically meets the third Monday of each month at 5:15 p.m. at 631 Perry Street, Defiance, Ohio. Alternate meeting dates may be selected to accommodate schedules and are advertised as required.
ENTRY LEVEL POLICE OFFICER TESTING
The City of Defiance Civil Service Commission is currently testing to establish an eligibility list for the position of entry level full-time police officer. Lateral Transfer candidates are encouraged to apply.
Candidates applying as an Entry Level Police Officer and NOT a lateral transfer candidate must complete:
- A Personal History Questionnaire (which will serve as your application), minimum score 0f 70% required on reading, writing, and video portion
- FrontLine National Testing
- Public Safety Self Assessment—minimum score of 60% required
These can be completed through National Testing Network. To fill out an application and schedule a test, go to www.nationaltestingnetwork.com, select Law Enforcement and sign up for the City of Defiance Police Department.
Candidates applying as a Lateral Transfer Police Officer will need to complete:
- An application (available online or by email). Email firstname.lastname@example.org for instructions.
- An oral interview local agility testing. The oral interview date is TBD.
- All applications (including any DD214 information) and testing must be completed prior to October 6, 2021 at 11:59 p.m. Those candidates, BOTH lateral transfer and non-lateral transfer, with a passing score will be required to complete a local agility test to be held in Defiance, Ohio on Saturday, October 16, 2021.
To successfully complete the physical agility test, the candidate must meet the minimum standard for each numbered event. If he or she fails an event, the candidate is automatically disqualified. The physical agility test is pass/fail only.
- To be excused from the local agility test, a candidate will need to provide the Civil Service Commission with a certificate dated within one year prior to the local agility test showing successful completion of OPOTA training by having met their physical fitness requirement.
Candidates may also receive Veteran Preference Credit as outlined in the Civil Service Commission Rules Section 50.16. This additional credit will only be added to a passing score.
After completing the testing processes, candidates who meet all the required testing levels will be presented to the Defiance Civil Service Commission who will certify a list of those eligible. The ranking will be based on testing scores and would include any additional Veteran Preference Credits for those eligible. Candidates on the list will receive a letter with their ranking on the list.
NOTE: Please be advised Ohio Revised Code Section 124.41 provides no person may receive an appointment to the position of police officer after obtaining the age of thirty-five. However, the City’s Codified Ordinances state “No person is eligible to receive an original appointment as a police officer or firefighter on or after his or her thirty-seventh birthday and no person shall be disqualified as over age prior to that time.”
Any questions can be directed to the City of Defiance, Civil Service Commission Clerk at 419-783-4350 or email@example.com.