Effective March 17, 2020:
City of Defiance Mayor Mike McCann and Board of Control continue to carefully monitor the coronavirus (COVID-19) situation and follow the guidance of federal, state, and local health authorities.
Board of Control made the decision to restrict public access to City Hall by closing its two lobbies, starting March 17, 2020. All other buildings, except for the Fire Department and Police Department, will follow this procedure. The Fire and Police Departments will operate as usual.
All City employees will still be on duty handling regular internal business and fielding phone calls and emails. We will keep you posted as to how long this will continue, challenges we encounter, and any adjustments we make to be as accommodating to the public as possible.
This decision was made to protect both the public and our staff. It is imperative that we protect our staff from COVID-19 so they are able to continue to provide essential operations to the Defiance community. It is equally important that we do our part to prevent citizen exposure to one another to help slow the spread of coronavirus.
Signs are posted directing customers/taxpayers how to proceed with paying utility bills, fees, and taxes (drop box) and help with forms and other time critical business (via phone).
UTILITY BILLING OFFICE: 419-782-1946
- Payments can still be made through the mail, placed in a secured DROP BOX on the north side of the City Hall building, or through the Official Payments site located on the City webpage. If you choose to pay with cash through the DROP BOX and want a receipt, please mark your envelope indicating that choice. Staff will check the drop box several times a day.
- For a new water customer, please call the office for directions: 419-782-1946
- Extra envelopes can be found in a box near the Utility Billing Office door. Do not put your payment in this box, only use the secured DROP BOX on the north side of the building for payments.
- Contact information is available on the City of Defiance website. CITY CONTACT INFORMATION
INCOME TAX OFFICE: 419-784-2117
- There is a weather proof box located by the UBO front door that contains blank Tax Forms and envelopes, and can also be found on the City’s website. Tax payers will have the choice to: 1.) Mail in the completed return OR 2.) Put it in the secured DROP BOX on the north side of the building.
- Do not put tax payments, completed tax returns, or W2s in the box located by the UBO front door of the office, as this is not a secured box. Use the secured DROP BOX on the north side of the building.
- If a tax payer needs help completing their return, they have 2 options: 1.) Call the office and the staff will walk them through it at 419-784-2117 and 2.) Place W2s and federal schedules into the secured DROP BOX and staff will fill it out and mail a copy to the tax payer. If using this method, your tax information needs placed in an envelope with your name, address, and a phone number to contact the taxpayer.
PERMITS AND OTHER REQUIRED PAYMENTS will still be taken. Please call 419-784-2101 for an assistant to guide you through this process.
During this restriction, only city employees will be allowed in buildings, so there will be no appointments made at this time.
City officials will still be actively at work, so if you have questions please contact us by email or by phone.
Contact information is available on the City of Defiance website. CITY CONTACT INFORMATION
LINKS FOR MORE Coronavirus (COVID-2019) INFORMATION: