BUCHMAN PARK on the GLAIZE
Randy Buchman, a long-time Defiance history expert, is being honored for his services as city historian for the City of Defiance, history professor Emeritus at Defiance College, and Director of the Andrew L. Tuttle Memorial Museum by having a park named after him. The park will eventually have a Native American Tribute as part of the park which Mr. Buchman has a vast knowledge of the area’s Native American history.
The park’s name recognizes the Native American villages that were located here in the late 18th century at the confluence of the Auglaize and Maumee Rivers and known as “The Glaize.” The cost of this park may range in the hundred of thousand dollars and no funding plan is in place yet. Conceptual drawings by consultant J.D. Orr have been submitted for the tribute. The next step is finding artists to design the tribute and secure funding.
The undeveloped park area below is located on the west bank of the Auglaize River on Auglaize Street in between the Second Street Bridge and the Hopkins Street Bridge and is greenspace now.
An old buffalo wallow on the Maumee River at the mouth of the Auglaize River (at what later became Defiance, Ohio,), the Glaize emerged as a multicultural settlement during the late eighteenth century. Although the area was a hunting ground for the Ottawas and other native groups, it did not become a place of permanent residence until the period of the American Revolution, when French and English traders established a fort and trading post, around which were founded at least seven Indian villages inhabited primarily by Shawnees, Delawares, and Miamis. The combined population of these towns at its peak in 1792 was about two thousand persons. In that year, the Glaize became headquarters for a multitribal confederacy that, armed and fed by British trading agents, resisted American expansion in the Northwest Territory.
As the area’s economic and diplomatic center, the Glaize became a natural target for the American forces as they pushed forward in 1794. Troops under General Anthony Wayne scattered the population and razed most of the community’s permanent buildings in August of that year and the American general established his headquarters nearby. Final defeat of the Northwest Confederacy occurred at the Battle of Fallen Timbers on 20 August 1794. Subsequently, the Glaize ceased to be a vital community. Prominent individuals associated with the Glaize include Blue Jacket, Little Turtle, Big Cat, James and Simon Girty, John Kinzie, George Ironside, and Billy Caldwell.
Below is just one of the conceptual drawings of the park by J.D. Orr.