The City of Defiance Water Distribution Department is reminding all residents to inspect their waterlines and meters during cold weather. Please check the following items in your home to reduce the risk of freezing:
1. Make sure that your basement windows are closed tightly and are draft free. Temporarily place insulation over the windows to prevent drafts.
2. Make sure that any cracks in your basement or crawl space are repaired to avoid drafts and freezing temperatures.
you have a crawl space, make sure the vents are closed. Temporarily place insulation over the vents to prevent drafts.
4. Check any exposed waterlines on outside walls to make sure they are warm and there are no drafts in the area.
5. If you have any waterlines that run the chance of freezing, wrap the lines with insulation or heat tape.
6. If you have an inside meter, it will need protected, as it is part of your water system. This may include wrapping the meter with insulation or heat tape.
7. If you have any waterlines or a water meter in the garage, remember to have the doors open as little as possible.
Please note that there is a replacement charge for water meters damaged due to neglect. The charge includes the cost of the water meter and any possible overtime charges.
A stream the size of a pencil lead is sufficient to avoid freezing pipes. If your meter does freeze and break, contact the Utility Billing Office to have your meter replaced, 8:00am-4:30pm, 419-782-1946 OR after 4:30pm or weekends at 419-782-1886.